The Knowledge Media Design Institute (KMDI) is seeking 3 Research Assistants to assist in a pilot study of the use of TikTok for academic knowledge mobilization. The pilot will include a review of both the literature (academic/industry) and the compilation of a collection (or playlist) of current examples of TikToks made for educational purposes, which will be used to produce a report or white paper on the topic which will be published on TSpace and on the KMDI website (open access). The report should emphasize whether/how TikTok might be used to relay new and emerging research findings, and identify of a preliminary list of best (or promising) practices. Lastly, the research team will produce a series of TikTok videos aimed at sharing the findings of a recent global study of children’s rights in the digital environment. This project will enable a unique and timely intervention into emerging academic discussions about the use of corporately owned social media for academic knowledge mobilization, while laying the groundwork for future research in this area.
- Assist with designing and building the pilot study research design;
- Assist with the review of relevant academic literature and industry publications/reports on the topic of educational and knowledge mobilization uses, challenges and opportunities associated with TikTok or other video/image based social media;
- Assist with identifying, recording/screen capturing and managing relevant TikTok videos in a shared repository;
- Collaborate on the production (planning, writing, filming, directing, editing, etc.) of a series of TikTok videos aimed at mobilizing knowledge of a recent academic study among diverse targeted audiences (team will have access to KMDI video/audio recording equipment);
- Attend regular virtual meetings with the research team to share and compare findings, address anomalies and resolve discrepancies;
- Maintain a record/documentation of your work, process, and findings (weekly research memos);
- Contribute to the writing and preparation of a preliminary report or white paper on the current state of research and practice relating to TikTok as an educational and/or knowledge mobilization platform.
- Previous experience with TikTok and/or similar video-based social media platforms.
- Previous experience producing videos and/or related digital content;
- Strong to excellent technical skills in video production, audio production, video editing, post-production, special effects or other media-related areas;
- Strong to excellent research skills, especially relating to the retrieval, critical evaluation, and synthesis of academic literature (literature review);
- Strong to excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Committed, reliable, organized, ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Qualified applicants must have the resources and availability to complete all the work remotely (personal computer, reliable internet connection), in accordance with COVID-19 physical distancing requirements, and must be legally entitled to work in Canada for the duration of the contract. Preference will be given to current University of Toronto Faculty of Information and/or Knowledge Media Design (Collaborative Specialization) students. The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, First Nations, Inuit, and Métis people, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and perspectives.
The successful applicant will be offered a contract of 60 hours, to be completed between May 17 – June 30, 2021. Please note that the start and end dates are negotiable (to some extent), but that the work must be completed in its entirety before July 30, 2021. If you have any questions, concerns, or require assistance completing this application please contact: email@example.com. Salary will be commensurate with experience. $28 – $38/hr.
How to apply:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with brief cover letter and CV.
Applications are open until the position is filled. Please note that only qualified, short-listed applicants will be selected for an interview.